Reordering questions in EgoWeb 2.0.10.16

This is the forum where you should post questions requiring answers to how to use EgoWeb 2.0 and/or how to fix problems. Look through the forum for topics that might already have discussion about your issue because some of the problems are common and may already have been addressed.
jennaw

Reordering questions in EgoWeb 2.0.10.16

Post by jennaw »

Hello,

We recently updated to the newest version of EgoWeb to fix some bugs we were experiencing in an older version. However, I am attempting to add in a few new questions, and I am unable to reorder the questions. I am trying to drag and drop like I was able to do in the old version of EgoWeb, but this is not working - in fact, other questions are moving around after I try to drag and drop the question I am working on. Is there another way to reorder questions in this new version?

Thanks,
Jenna
Qualintitative
Site Admin

Re: Reordering questions in EgoWeb 2.0.10.16

Post by Qualintitative »

Hi Jenna,

The re-order functionality is the same as before, so it sounds like a bug for the conversion to a new version of the application. I've been playing around with a new server running studies created with older versions and see some of the things you describe.

Can you test if creating a new study and new questions still has this problem? Hopefully that will not produce this problem.

Can you look for issues with existing questions such as "preface" text? That is an old feature that gives a warning message when a question has it from an older version. We replaced preface text with the "no response" text. But I saw a question that would not move and deleted the preface text, and that fixed that.

Can you try creating a new question with "duplicate" of an old question (and then changing all of the settings) instead of creating a new question? I was able to make it work doing that on a study having similar problems as yours.

I notified the programmer of this problem and gave an example of a similar bug. Maybe he has a simple fix. If the problem is really old versions of surveys do unexpected things after being updated and it requires a lot of effort to make this type of bug go away, we might not be able to fix that directly but there are workarounds.

If you can't make a brand new study/set of questions move around that is a bigger issue that I'll investigate more. Let me know what happens when you do some more testing.

dave
David P. Kennedy
jennaw

Post by jennaw »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. I tried creating a new survey and did not encounter this problem, so it is likely a conversion issue.

Unfortunately, I already attempted to change question ordering to the survey we have coded (which then caused cascading ordering issues within the survey) and so cannot duplicate questions to make fixes.

Please let me know as soon as possible whether the programmer has a simple fix. We are going into the field soon, and I need to know whether I need to carve out time to re-create the survey.

Thanks,
Jenna
Qualintitative
Site Admin

Post by Qualintitative »

I had another conversion issue with a survey and I was able to work around it by exporting the .study file and then re-importing it. The re-imported version did not have the weird bugs. That way you can move things around and will not have to program everything from scratch.

I don't think there is going to be a quick fix on our end for this problem unfortunately. I have not hear back yet. Sometimes it is hard to identify all of these conversion bugs when converting older surveys. Try the export/re-import thing and hopefully that will allow you to start fresh. We do a lot of testing of importing older .study files.
David P. Kennedy
jennaw

Post by jennaw »

I just tried the import / export and it did not seem to fix this bug.

Thanks again for all of your help, I appreciate your time.

Jenna
Qualintitative
Site Admin

Post by Qualintitative »

Hi Jenna,

There is an update in github now. I tested the fix on the server where I was replicating the problem and everything seemed to be fixed, at least with what I was testing. If you sync your server with the latest in github I think (hope!) everything will be back to normal.

https://github.com/qualintitative/egoweb

The weird thing is that I only saw this problem on some studies. New studies were fine but also many old studies did not have this problem. So I am not sure what the common denominator that is causing the same problem. So I hope this fix addresses your problem. Let me know how it turns out.
David P. Kennedy