Textual response from roster

This is the forum where you should post questions requiring answers to how to use EgoWeb 2.0 and/or how to fix problems. Look through the forum for topics that might already have discussion about your issue because some of the problems are common and may already have been addressed.
jennaw

Textual response from roster

Post by jennaw »

Hello!

In our interview, we are asking the Ego to enter which country they were born. We would like to avoid a multiple choice question here, as it would require too much scrolling for the respondent.

To this end, we are wondering if either of two solutions would work:
1. Does EgoWeb 2.0 include a way to make a textual response that is linked to a list of countries in the back end? Perhaps this would be a name generator question that pulls from a roster?

2. We were also thinking that it may be possible to write Javascript to populate the country names as the respondent is typing.
1. Is the Javascript functionality working?
2. If so, do you have any documentation that explains how to use it?

Thank you in advance for your time!
Qualintitative
Site Admin

Re: Textual response from roster

Post by Qualintitative »

Hi jennaw.

If you put countries in the pre-defined participant list and then associate it with a name generator, I think it would do what you suggest but I am not sure how having a country response as a name generator response would impact the rest of the survey. It would treat that as one of the alters, so there would have to be skip logic to not have questions about that country as if it was an alter.

The java script box was added at one point for custom question types (a slider) and worked back then but I have not used it in a long time (and can't give instructions on how to use it -- I wasn't the one to program it initially).

One suggestion I have off the top of my head is to have a multiple choice question with "other specify" options and make the options regions of the world. You can provide instructions to list the specific country after they select the region (a text box pops up). That would not eliminate the need for typing the name of the country but might make some processing of the text entry easier/faster.

I agree it would be nice to have a feature for having a list behind the scenes and then doing a text match as they type in a text box. There are functions in EgoWeb that already do that so I think it would not be a huge challenge to add that, but it is not there currently. Unless someone who knows how to do java script figures out how to add it, that is.
David P. Kennedy